Saturday, February 20, 2016

Importance of taking the first step. #Impact

There are some things that one wishes and aspires in life and if they are fulfilled there are probably no other joys that would make an individual happy. I have always aspired and wished to work on women issues and make them empowered. Since I had a good exposure to education, I learnt all that I could and through my education wanted to uplift the poor and rural women and work for their betterment. My family always supported me in this regard and went ahead with my ideas to inspire and motivate me to work for the noble cause.
I began to take up small sessions in the village schools and colleges near-by. My motive was to impart them the lessons of the importance of education, on the importance of good health and hygiene, regarding the family and other moral values. There were 4 schools in the village initially and I could easily cover all the schools once in a week. I made it mandatory in my schedule to make the visits more often and do the talking to the children. It was important to keep them motivated because the village children have the highest drop out rates. My husband also took the charge of teaching and imparting educating the village kids.
Within a short span of time of two years, thing began to change. Both of us were happy to see the results and making things happen at the grass root level. More schools came up in the locality and more number of children were enrolled in the schools. The number of girls enrolling in the schools increased. The ratio of boys to girls education was improving. Also with the village panchayat I started to organise awareness programmes for the women in the village. With every programme, the changes were being seen. Though the change was quite low initially, but after few meetings and programmes the figures started improving.
One fine day, I decided to take permission from the Village panchayat regarding the conduct of a social function in the village where several competitions and activities would be taking place, which would encourage villagers to participate and shall imbibe an urge to learn more. This brought lots of changes into the life of villagers and visible changes were noticed. There were many people who thanked me for the work I was doing and also many other joined me into my cause that I had been working on.
This made several people feel special. I was feeling happy about it. I was happy that my small attempts were making changes and bringing smiles on other's faces. It is important that we realise to take the first step and make the impact on society which would improve the status of society as a whole.

This blog post is inspired by the blogging marathon hosted on IndiBlogger for the launch of the #Fantastico Zica from Tata Motors. You can apply for a test drive of the hatchback Zica today.

No comments:

Post a Comment